Triumph new Honeycrisp cross- disease resistant

Malling/Merton (MM) 102, a dwarfing rootstock (M26 size response in most soils) that’s woolly aphid resistant, somewhat resistant to collar rot, and very precocious (not as much as M27, but still high): http://www.mcgrathnurseries.co.nz/fruit-trees/rootstocks/apple-rootstocks/375-mm102

In my neck of the woods they’re extremely vigorous until they reach their “top height” then stop, with almost everything I have grafted to an MM102 growing to about two metres in the first year, and very little after that, just thickening up the trunk instead.

It’s the most used rootstock for retail dwarf apple trees here in Australia, and has fewer compatibility issues than similarly sized G/CG series, and as we don’t have firelight it’s less a concern if the rootstocks are resistant to it or not.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experiences from ‘down under’!

1 Like

Looks like Gurneys has it on m111 rootstock. I hate buying from them. I’m never impressed with the trees but will probably get 2 triumphs from them this year. Somehow they always have something i want not available elsewhere.

2 Likes

You prefer Triumph over Honeycrisp?! Wow.

I buy $2 individual apples because they’re that good. It’s hard to imagine better than that!

1 Like

Adam’s County Nursery has it available on a semi-dwarf rootstock. I’m not sure which rootstock they use. Depending on what Gurney’s shipping is (and if you want/have a place to put 3 more trees) it might be worth considering.

2 Likes

I thought I would bump this thread. Any reports on Triumph? How is the vigor and disease resistance as well as how does the fruit taste although many of you don’t have trees fruiting yet.

2 Likes

The copy I got from Cummins so crooked, I butchered it and grafted to another rootstock.
Doing better my graft is than the recovering tree I bought. But at least 18 months before I get a bloom.

1 Like

Super late reply here but wanted to acknowledge what a great post this is. Well reasoned and thoughtful, and to my mind proves why it’s worthwhile for amateur growers to take a stab at breeding their own varieties. So thanks for this!

2 Likes