What fruits did you eat today?

There was a jackfruit in the market I visited yesterday. It was enormous. Do they come sample sized? :laughing: this market often sells fruit that is mostly overripeā€¦and apparently very underripe too! Ha. I would be worried about purchasing such large fruit (Iā€™m assuming with a large bill- are they often expensive? I didnā€™t see a price, and Iā€™m recalling from this forum that another large fruit, durian, goes for very high price) and having it end up being no good. I will keep an eye out for sliced open jackfruitā€¦maybe ask them to chop it for me. I love floral flavored fruit so it sounds fun to try.

1 Like

They are enormous, which is why many of the shops will cut them into smaller pieces and then charge you a slightly additional amount per pound. One of the supermarkets that attracts a lot of ā€œimmigrantā€ clientele would occasionally buy whole jackfruit, which comes 2 per ā€œcaseā€ from their supplier, but wind up throwing too many of them. I told the produce manager to cut it in to smaller portions and wrap them and now they are always selling them. At $1.99 per pound even a small jackfruit becomes too much of an expense to bother, but when cut smaller more people will buy it.

3 Likes

Jackfruit price has come down a lot. I see more stores carrying it. Our local grocery store sales jackfruit $0.79 /lb when itā€™s on sale.

2 Likes

I have to drive to the New York metropolitan area and visit an Hmart or something to find anything close to a price that good on jackfruit.

1 Like

Started getting some Methley plums.

9 Likes

The majority of my picked currants.

11 Likes

Local fresh cherry $1.99 / pound @QFC

9 Likes

they are expensive here but when they are on sale i eat ALOT of cherries! :wink:

3 Likes

Yes they are expensive. I did see 2.99/lb the other day- lowest they will probably go here! They are so good though- we have pits all over the yard to prove it. :laughing:

2 Likes

I had semi frozen muscadines and blueberries. Almost like eating a pop sickle.

4 Likes

thats about as low as they go here. i may buy a large amount when they go on sale and make some jam with them.

1 Like

Had some mangoes shipped to me from Florida by a backyard fruit grower. After eating tasteless Costco and supermarket mangoes, these ones were amazing! As good as the very best Iā€™ve ever tasted in India. Possibly because they were tree ripened. And I grew up eating mangoes.

If you get a chance to eat Zill mangoes, please do. They will impress you a lot.

Carrie - very tasty, resiny. Has a strong Indian mango taste to it.
Coconut cream ā€“ Describes the mango nearly perfectly. It tasted very much like mango ice cream mixed with coconut. Outstanding Florida/Zill variety
Lemon Meringue ā€“ Tasted so much like key lime pie. But with a mango flavor. Really wonderful
Kesar - an heirloom Indian mango. Possibly the best of them all. Very strong Indian mango resiny flavor.
I have several others I am receiving that I havent tasted yet: Florigon, Dot, Himsagar etc.

8 Likes

I know its not fresh fruit but its the only time ive ever had anything that is soursop related. I was in a small latin grocery/taco shop yesterday and they had a cooler full of these De Mi Pais products from Vietnam. The soursop one caught my eye in addition to guava, mango, and passion fruit. Says it comes with sacs which I wasnt even sure what that was. The flavor is fantastic. The texture a bit weird for me. Its thick and has these so.ewhat gloppy pieces of fruut flesh. My wife a bit freaked out when I poured it. But to everyone in my family including the kids surprise. We all liked it. Closest thing I can relate it to is fresh pineapple juice with banana or mango flavor.

5 Likes

Serviceberry/saskatoon pie :slightly_smiling_face: :us: happy fourth to the Americans

16 Likes

I have tried and have never found a soursop/guyabano juice that I liked. The problem is i get an uneasy feeling in my stomach, the kind of feeling some have felt when eating pawpaw.

The fresh soursop fruit I have had in the Philippines is awesome, among my favorites. The imported fruit I have tried stateside was plain bad.

Iā€™m happy you liked the juice!

2 Likes

A red currant lemmon bunt cake made from currants from my garden.

12 Likes

Ooh, thatā€™s a good idea, thanks! I have currants this year but not enough for jam.

2 Likes

All the raspberries I picked so far.
I put them all into some Ben & Jerrys ice cream.
Gone!

4 Likes

I am just sayingā€¦
I got the 2000th post!
Hehehe! :wink:

5 Likes

For last two days i was having the best mangoes (chonsa) in the world. We have to drive from pittsburgh to toronto to get these mangoes.

2 Likes