What fruits did you eat today?

Rubinette grafts are on my younger trees and I removed all blooms this spring to avoid runting. These trees grew very well over the summer so I expect some harvest next year.

1 Like

I still have about 30 lbs of fresh Petersen’s pawpaw in the fridge since late August. They are so tasty.

Tony

11 Likes

Nice! I had some until a week ago from wild trees, but the only ones left were small, seedy, and bitter. Some of those were barftastic! :nauseated_face: I really hope to get some fruit from my Peterson trees next year so I don’t have to rely on the risky nature of wild pawpaws.

1 Like

That looks amazing, what setting do you store your fruit at? I was thinking of buying a clean cheap craigslist fridge and setting it at 35 degrees and medium high humidity to store extra fruit until i can build a cellar so i dont have a manic harvest processing of all my vegetables (or at least less) like this year.

Unless its humidity that rubinette does not like, It may do well for you here it really makes a excellent apple and i have not had any troubles with it growth wise either and the main difference between our climates is humidity and rainfall since we have similar hot cold pattern.

1 Like

I just set it at low probably 35 degrees. I hoped my Rubinette grafts do well here. My September Fuji was very productive this year.

1 Like

Medlar

8 Likes

Just waiting to be plucked. It will be a super lunch hour

9 Likes

Do they taste like chestnuts?

1 Like

They are from Corsica!

No. I am not so interesting because those were picked almost one month ago and counter ripening. My friend said tree ripening tasting really good. First he thought these are junk fruits after tasting tree ripening he decided to plant 2 more different varieties.

Still don’t know what they taste like. Rotten fruit?

1 Like

The one I tasted was not a perfect tree ripened one. I am waiting to taste them again.
Really hard to describe the flavor of medlar, the combination sweet and sour between persimmon, banana , chocolate and green mango to me. Hopefully some of us have more experience of tasting medlar fruits.

I’ve heard that they taste like a spiced apple butter, but your description is much more intriguing. I’m hoping to find out for myself next year.

1 Like

Bosc Pears. 13.4, 13.6, and 15.9 ounces. Very sweet, juicy, and flavorful. Also a bit more gritty than most Bosc I have tasted.

4 Likes

Here are some Winter Banana apples that produced this year. Very nice apples with a great taste.

This one above was tucked in between some branches. I thought the stem area was neat looking.

10 Likes

Star-Apple.

8 Likes

Our nice neighbor dropped off some Fuyu (Jiro) and Hachiya persimmons. My wife and I like both varieties but she prefers crunchy Fuyu and I love the gooey texture and flavor of Hachiya. I read from the forum that there are better astringent varieties. I’m planning to plant a Saijo this winter.

15 Likes

Cosmic Crisp Apple.

7 Likes

star apples are you going to try to grow them
from seed?

1 Like

No. I don’t think they can survive in Cold Winter here.

1 Like