Worden seckel pear

Found this very interesting article on Worden I think you will enjoy Full text of "Worden Seckel pear"
" Skip to main content

• Toggle navigation

Full text of “Worden Seckel pear

See other formats

Historic, Archive Document Do not assume content reflects current scientific knowledge, policies, or practices - ’ 1 ’ UGl ANNALS, APR 95 * MOV 4 919 I WORDEN SECKEL PEAR. SYRACUSE NURSERIES SMITHS & POWELL COMPANY, SYRACUSE, N. Y. \ I Worden Seckel Pear. THIS beautiful Pear was originated by Mr. Sylvester Worden, of Minetto, Oswego County, N. Y., the originator of the noted Worden Grape. It is a seedling of the Seckel, which for many years has been conceded by pomologists to be the standard of excellence. This seedling we consider to be fully equal in quality to its famous parent, which it much resembles in flavor, is equally as lus- cious, more juicy, and with an aroma equally as rich and inviting; while in size, color, form, and appearance, it is decidedly superior. Grown under like conditions, we think it will average a half larger. In color, when well ripened, it closely resembles Clapp’s Favorite, but is a little brighter red on one side, and a light golden yellow on the other, sprinkled with very faint russet dots, with a skin that is usually as smooth and waxy as if it had been vanished. It is more oblong than Seckel. Its long, slim, willowy stem discounts the effects of severe winds, which are so disastrous to many otherwise valuable varieties. Originating as it did in the cold section near Oswego, where it seems to stand the climate perfectly, even the young, tender shoots having escaped injury, and having borne abundant crops for eight successive years, since it reached a bearing age, we feel justified in the conclusions that it is a very hardy variety, and will endure any climate which will admit of Pear culture. It is a more upright and rapid grower than the Seckel. Its foliage is strong and abundant, and remains on the tree until killed by frosts. The tree is an enormous bearer, — the fruit ripening just after the Seckel ; keeps remarkably well, retaining its flavor and quality to the last. WORDEN-SECKEL. Originated by S. Worden, the originator of the Worden Grape, and is nowbMn* propagated by Smiths & Powell, of Syracuse, N. Y. It is a seedling of the Seckel. The flesh is a dull white, very juicy, buttery, melting, line grained, with a flavor and aroma fully equal to that of its distinguished parent, and which it far surpasses in size, beauty, and keeping qualities, li ripens early in October, and can be kept in good eating condition until December. It bears in clusters, as seen in cut. wMch is no exaggeration of its size or beauty. I r _ 5 It is free from the tendency to decay at the core, even when left on the tree until fully ripe. The testimonials which have voluntarily been sent to us, by the leading pomologists of this country, regarding the merits of this beautiful Pear, are so numerous that only a few extracts from a por- tion of those received can be given in a circular of this kind. We know of no other Pear which combines such high quality, rare beauty, and great productiveness, and probably no other has been received with such universal favor, or has called forth from compe- tent critics so much spontaneous praise, and so little criticism. The universal commendation, and high encomiums which have been bestowed on this new production, and the high standing, char- acter, and reputation of the parties making them, render further comment by us unnecessary. Please read and carefully consider the opinions of the most cele- brated critics and pomologists in America, regarding this remarkable Pear, as expressed in their own language. What more could be said ! What higher authority could be desired ! We are now prepared to offer, for the fall of 1895, first-class Trees of the " Worden Seckle " Pear, at both wholesale and retail, — both Standard and Dwarfs. Correspondence solicited, and will be promptly answered. Very respectfully, THE SMITHS & POWELL CO., 904 West Genesee St., Syracuse, N. Y. Extracts ¥rom Letters Received. E. S. Carman, of the R%iral New Yorker, says of the Word en Seckel: " A remarkable Pear. Half or nearly half, is a bright crimson, the other half a golden yellow. The flesh is a dull white, very juicy, buttery, melting, and fine grained, with an aroma even higher than that of its distinguished parent. It will be seen that it surpasses the Seckel in its beautiful color, in size, and probably in keeping qualities." Thos. Meehan & Son, in Meehan’s Monthly of October 27, ‘92, say: ’ ’ Many attempts have been made during the last half a century to raise seed- lings of the Seckel, which would be surperior to its parent ; but still in many respects this variety stands incomparable. This new introduction, — samples of which have been sent me by Smiths & Powell Co., of Syracuse, N. Y., is to our mind one of the best of the many attempts made to improve on its parents. While we do not regard the flavor as equal to the original Seckel, the fruit seems to be larger, and in some respects handsomer, and judging by what we learn of the tree itself, is a better grower, and all these qualities certainly make it a valuable introduction. Aside from what we can gather from the “fruit sent, is the fact of its indorsement by the firm above named. There are few fruit growers in the United States who have paid so much attention to the Pear as the members of this firm, and they know a first-class variety when they see it.” Mr. S. D. Wieeard, Nurseryman, of Geneva, N. Y., says: " I do not think there can be any mistake in denominating this the standard of excellence, so far as good eating Pears are concerned. I am very glad that you are engaged in growing it, and the world will have the satisfaction of having a better Pear, when this is disseminated, than it has ever before known." Mr. George A. Sweet, Nurseryman, of Dansville, N. Y., says: “It is simply superb, and will take on gracefully all the objections you can apply to it. In my judgment it comes pretty near perfection,” and again " My present experience with the Worden Seckel only confirms my previous estimate as to the superb quality of this new fruit. It seems to me to approach closely abso- lute perfection in the Pear. I am glad to know that you are propagating it, for it ought to be in the hands of every consumer in the land." Messrs. Keewanger & Barry, Nurserymen, Rochester, N. Y.: " It is handsome, of excellent quality, like the Seckel in flavor, and will without doubt be favorably received by the public. ’ ’ Mr.Wieeiam Parry, of Parry, N. J. ( Pomona Nurseries )," The Pears were received in good condition. Size, 7 to S in. around, handsome, rich, yellow, thin skin, with faint blush. Flesh smooth, juicy, buttery, sweet, delicious quality, with pronounced Seckel flavor. If tree is vigorous and productive this should be a valuable Pear. Its season of ripening, after summer Pears are over, and the markets are comparatively bear of fruit, will be much in its favor, and its quality, size and attractive appearance are all that can be desired in a fine dessert Pear." J. S. Woodward, of Lockport, N. Y., ex-Secretary N. Y. State Agricultural Society, says: " The box of Pears was received. I tested them, and found a very beautiful, good Pear. Although rather small, they were good enough to make up for that." And in the same letter: " Mr. C. L. Hoag, of Lockport, an expert on flavor and quality, on seeing the fruit, and not knowing what they were, said ’ A seedling of the Seckel, only a good deal better; ’ and " In this This grand, new pear is of the Oriental type, and by far the best, sidered— yet introduced. The pear is large, fine, rich yellow, of the about September 1st. The tree is the finest grower known, surpass) <S absolutely blight proof. As of their not blighting, we offer onj ^ nd free of charge for proof to the contrary. Has large, thick, lej t ^f’ an( ^ ^ark colored bark ; is a perfect tree in every res; 5? n jhi Is a young and abundant annual bearer ; blossoms lj an *^er trees and have an abundance of the best fruit thej “Uer says, in the Rural World : " Garbers are thj ^.re truly fine; wish I had a thousand.’ " Garber is equally well adapted ^Kieffer; ripens between acken one of 5 opinion,” continued Mr. Woodward, " I fully agree, so far as my taste goes. If this Pear will only withstand the scab better than the old Seek el it will be a great acquisition, for as good as the Seckel is, I much prefer this for my own eating." Hooper Bros. & Thomas, of Maple Ave. Nurseries, West Chester, Pa., say: " The specimens of Worden Seckel arrived in good condition, October 4th. They were preserved wrapped in tissue paper until October nth, at which date we found them colored to a beautiful lemon yellow tint, with a faint trace of russet, and slight red cheek. Flesh fine grained, with a very perceptible Seckel flavor, indeed almost, if not quite, as good as that famous old standard of excellence. Size, below medium to small. It must certainly prove a valu- able dessert Pear." And in the same letter James H Bull, of West Chester, Pa., says: " It is very sweet and delicious, and one of the finest and prettiest little Pears I have seen for a long time, and in my estimation excellent as a dessert variety." Messrs. T. C. Maxwell & Bros., Geneva, N. Y., Nurserymen and Fruit Growers: “We are very glad indeed to see and test the Pear. It is very handsome, remarkably juicy, and of good quality.” Mr. J. J. Thomas, in Country Gentleman, says: " We have received from the originator specimens of the new seedling Pear, Worden-Seckel. He informs us that it is a seedling of the Seckel, but is a more vigorous grower, and that it produces its fruit in clusters. The specimens sent are slightly above medium in size, being nearly 3 in. long ; flesh white, fine grained, buttery and melting, with a mild, and very sweet, pleasant flavor." R. G. Chase & Co., Nurserymen, Geneva, N. Y. : “The Pear is certainly very handsome, and exceedingly good.” Lewis Chase, Pres. Chase Bros. Co., Nurserymen, Rochester, N. Y., sa}'S: " The Worden-Seckel is a most excellent variety. Should set it down anywmere as a seedling of the Seckel. It is very much like it. I wouM class this Pear as excellent in quality, very handsome, and should judge that the variety has come to stay." Prof. I. P. Roberts, of Cornell University, says " The W T orden Seckel is certainly a very beautiful Pear. I consider this a very valuable variety, and well worthy of a place among the best in the country." Mr. A. D. Perry, of Syracuse, Pres. of the Central N. Y. Horticultural Society, and Supt. N. Y. State Fruits at the Columbian Exposition, says: " I have to-day made a careful test of the Worden Seckel, comparing it with the old Seckel. The Worden is a pronounced type of Seckel, differing only in size, and possibly a little finer grained. — It is aromaric, honeyed, fine grained, and delicious, — in fact, all that one could ask for in a Seckel Pear ; and when we take into account its enormous size for a Seckel, I consider it a great acquisi- tion." Hon. George T. Powell, of Ghent, N. Y., General Sup’t of New York State Display at the Columbian Exposition, and one of the most distinguished fruit growers of the State, who was also Sup’t of the fruit department at the State Fair, at Syracuse last fall, says: " The box of Worden Seckel Pears came to hand in good order. They are not only good in flavor, but very handsome in appearance. Coming as it does at a later period than the Seckel, its parent, with so much of good quality, will make it a desirable variety to grow, and it is another acquisition to our list of fine Pears." And again he says, " It comes in at a very desirable season, the fruit is rich and handsome in appearance, and is as good as it looks. In the introduction of new fruits I fully believe in giv- ing to the public the highest possible qualities, along with attractive appear- ance, and the Worden Seckel combines both. At the last State Fair, Mr. 6 Worden sent me a branch two feet in length, which had 20 pears upon it, show- ing a tendency towards great production, while the foliage was very rich and strong, — two strong points of especial importance in these times of greater difficulty in growing some of our finer varieties of Pears. I shall watch with interest this new variety." The Oswego Times also says “Mr. Geo. T. Powell, in a talk on the best varieties of Apples and Pears for the Market at the Fulton Institute, pronounced the Worden Seckel " One of the greatest acquisitions to the Pear supply of recent years. ’ ’ He predicted that it was to become one of the most popular of Pears, and advised Pear growers generally to set the Trees for profit, as soon as they come into market. E. Smith & Sons, of Geneva, who are Nurserymen, and extensive fruit growers, say: “We received from you, some time since, a box of Worden- Seckel Pears, and the same we have kept in fine order up to the present writing ( October 22d ). We should class this Pear as No. 1 in quality and appearance.” And again, " The Worden Seckel is of high flavor, and ripens in proper season to command high prices in the market. It is the right thing, in the right place.” MESSRS. Hooker, Grover & Co., of The Fruit and Farm Nurseries, Rochester, N. Y., say: " We have tested the sample of Worden-Seckel Pears, and are very much pleased with both the appearance and quality of the same. It is certainly a delicious Pear, resembling the Seckel very much in quality and appearance. We consider it a most promising sort." R. G. Chase & Co., Nurserymen, of Geneva, N. Y. : " There is no question as to the superior quality of the Worden-Seckel, and we trust it will prove to be one of the most valuable autumn Pears. The Pear is certainly very handsome, and exceedingly good." Hon. N. H. Aebaugh, President of The Albaugh Nursery and Orchard Co., of Tadmore, Ohio, says: “The size is larger than Seckel, and the flavor fully as fine. It is certainly a great acquisition, and its lateness in ripening increases its value.” Brown Bros., Nurserymen, of Rochester, N. Y., say: “We feel confi- dent that the variety has a future. It is of the best quality, and very handsome, just the thing for a dessert Pear. It is distinct from the Seckel, being larger and handsomer, and when well-known will be likely to supercede it.” Messrs. R. D. Luetchford & Co., Nurserymen, of Rochester, N. Y., say: “The plate which you mailed was received, and it is certainly a very fine thing. We have tested the pear and must say that it is of very fine quality, far ahead of the Seckel, and in fact one of the finest Pears that we have ever eaten.” From the Nezu England Homestead: “The Worden-Seckel” promises to be a very valuable addition to our already large list of Pears. It is usually as high colored as Clapp’s Favorite, and as handsome. In size it is much larger than the Seckel, but would still be called a small Pear. It is a heavy bearer, and having a rather tough skin should make a splendid shipper. In flavor it is rich, juicy, and melting." W. P. Rupert &Sons, Nurserymen, Seneca, N. Y.: " We pronounce the Worden-Seckel Pear excellent. It is well worth introducing, and putting your name at the back of it. It possesses all the characteristics of a desirable Pear, and we think it will always be greatly preferred over the Seckel." The Rochester Nursery Co., of Rochester, N. Y.: " We must say that the quality is fine, and equal to, if not ahead, of anything in that line that we have ever tasted. When are you going to have them for sale ? "

6 Likes

You gotta get that Worden twig I sent you fruiting!

I like how one of the nurseries says they “are now prepared to offer Worden specimens for this year 1895… correspondence is solicited… and will be promptly answered!”

1 Like

Makes we wonder if the Worden could survive here on the edge of 4a/3b

1 Like

@Matt_in_Maryland, @Matt_in_Pennsylvania
Worden is covered with blossoms!

4 Likes

I’m glad you got it to work.

Someday, I might ask for a stick back. My tree is sickly after transplant, and had to be moved to my sister’s property an hour away. Moving it became necessary after my divorce.

2 Likes

Sure no worries just let me know.

1 Like

@Matt_in_Pennsylvania

Worden is taking its time hopefully this year.

1 Like

@Matt_in_Pennsylvania

Worden is covered again in blooms. Will post more later.

1 Like

Yo dude! Did you get any Worden pears to ripen last year?

2 Likes

@Matt_in_Pennsylvania

Fireblight wiped out the entire tree last year.

1 Like

I’m sorry, Clark. Our road to hell was paved with the best of intentions.

We’ll get ‘er next time.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I stumbled upon a Worden Seckel tree today. It looked pretty healthy with no signs of blight, foliar diseases, or scab on the fruitlets. This one seems to like fruiting in clusters.

5 Likes

@PharmerDrewee

Can you give us follow up photos later? It looks just like seckle so far. Thats what it should look like. Worden should look like this later Worden Pear

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?1436222

pyr0619.leaves01
pyr0619.sectionedfruit01
worden.seckel

4 Likes

Sure thing, Clark. I’ve never seen Seckel on a tree in real life before. I first noticed the tree last year but there were no fruit on it as a Korean Giant next to it was starting to ripen and Hosui was nearly done.

2 Likes

@clarkinks Here’s an update on the tree I found. The fruit are certainly sizing up. At this stage they are about the size of regular Seckel fruit I’ve seen for sale or maybe a little larger. When do you think these would be mature? The tree isn’t mulched or irrigated and I’m doubting that it’s fertilized.

4 Likes

@PharmerDrewee

Very soon they should change color and ripen.

2 Likes

Do you think these look like true Worden Seckel?

2 Likes

@PharmerDrewee

They sure do look like them.

2 Likes