Questions not deserving of a whole thread

I am sure I would…if there are ANY then I’m surprised! ha. Maybe in the burbs, but in the City? Actually I shouldn’t be too surprised. The television news in Nashville, TN often shows footage of deer right in the heart of (almost) downtown Nashville. SO I guess they are everywhere now. I recently saw a documentary about coyotes in Chicago. It was unbelievable. They had put collars on some and filmed many others and they were all living right in the middle of Chicago. At night they would travel via train tracks and highway medians and were living in drain pipes and abandon buildings and urban back yards. Life finds a way!

1 Like

I’m going to ask another really dumb question, and I suspect when I get the answer I’m going to feel even dumber for not figuring it out myself, but I’m going to ask anyway:

When you click on someone’s username and symbol on this web site, it brings up the little info box on that person. 99% of the information it contains is self explanatory. (probably a 100% but for some reason one part isn’t clicking in my brain). On the line near the bottom it tells when that person last posted, then to the right of that it tells when they joined. I get all that. But after that it says -and this is just an example- something like “Read 17d (1d recently)”. What is that telling us? Did that person read 17 days in a row? what is the 1 day recently meaning? or is the “d” even short for Days?

Again, everyone here except me probably knows this… If not you can make me feel better by admitted you’ve wondered the same thing, or if you have figured it out you can just tell me! ha Thanks!

3 Likes

the d stands for “days” The 17d means that the person has read for a total of 17 days (17 days * 24 hours60 minutes = 24,480 minutes ) The 1d means that they have read for 1 day (24 hours60 minutes=1440 minutes) in the last 60 days.

the d stands for “days” The 17d means that the person has read for a total of 17 days (17 days * 24 hours60 minutes = 24,480 minutes ) The 1d means that they have read for 1 day (24 hours60 minutes=1440 minutes) in the last 60 days.

Here is a NEW USER GUIDE for the forum software that being used,

2 Likes

We dont have coyotes in DC but we do have Foxes. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/foxes-in-dc-why-not-its-their-city-too/2013/02/16/38dd7f20-76d6-11e2-95e4-6148e45d7adb_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f292128d44b9 . Oh shit we do have coyotes. I have just never seen one.

1 Like

As a motorcycle rider, I relate to this.

2 Likes

Thank-you! I figured it was something simple but I couldn’t quite work it out. I never thought to look at the user guide! Like trying to put something together without reading the instructions! haha. Thanks again.

I must say, though, that it seems odd that they convert the minutes a person has spent reading into days. You really have to break out a calculator and do math to figure out how many minutes a person has spent reading if their profile says “30d” and the same goes for the 1d in a persons “recent” read time. There is a big difference in someone who has spent 23 hours reading in the last 60 days and someone who has spent 5 minutes reading and yet both will say “1d”? Seems like they would just put the minutes or hours spent reading. Oh well. At least now I know. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out that user guide, I added a link to it to the FAQ. For some reason the default FAQ only has guidelines in it, no info on how to use the site.

3 Likes

So I added more Urea and mulched under the trees… we’ll see how they do. The only warning I could find about over fertilizing was that there could be too much salt in the soil. Still not sure how much would be too much.

I’ve never seen deer in downtown SF, but down here on the densely populated Peninsula (which isn’t quite suburban) we have a ton of because of all the open space preserves. They just stroll down the road like they own the place every night.

I wish I could get rid of them, but the only things allowed to kill deer around here are mountain lions. This was up the hill from me a few years back: Mountain Lion Kills Deer on Front Porch in Bay Area - YouTube

Me and the wife are in Maui and we’re wondering what kind of fruit this is? We keep seeing it everywhere.

1 Like

Looks like a Clusia.

1 Like

Can anyone link the sales thread? I can’t find it in a search.

But Stark’s has under six dollar flat shipping right now and many things also on sale. A lot of pears.

1 Like
2 Likes

This is traditional cherry in China. ThThe fruit size is small, a little bigger than a large pea, smaller than soure cherry. But it is sweet. I wondering if anyone here know the name/cultivar??

5 Likes

I have a three American persimmon rootstock seedlings that were failed grafts from last year. They have leafed out to be such pretty little trees that I hate to cut their heads off to graft them. Question: If I plant these out and at least one is a male is it going to cause all my seedless Asian persimmons to have seeds? I would like a wild tree to fruit but not sure any would be female given the percentage and one would have to be male for wild fruit??? Is it worth it or should I just graft these over to something else? @tonyOmahaz5; @Barkslip; @KYnuttrees

The chance are 50/50 male/female for those American persimmon seedlings. The male has a cluster of 3 flowers so you can topwork them if they turn out to be a male and just keep the female.

3 Likes

From our Hybrids and the breeding that we have did I would just graft them as the results that we have has is about 75 to 80% are male

2 Likes

Cliff,

How good is NB-21?

Tony

1 Like

At Gallaudet, no deer, but I saw tyem at Georgetown.

I bought 2 Montmorency Cherry trees from Cummins to go with an old unidentified Cherry I’ve had for a few years. I’m happy with the trees, seem to have a nice trunk diameter, but they appear to have been given a pretty harsh haircut, perhaps to fit in the shipping box. I know very little about Cherry and wondered if anyone can recommend some reading or video on pruning form for these trees, and perhaps some pest management.

3 Likes