What are your summer flowers blooming?

Tippy, for someone who has “given up on roses” you sure have a lot of beautiful roses!

4 Likes

Holly,
I don’t usually spray my roses (so I can smell them freely). Two days ago, I’ve noticed so much rust on Abraham Darby. It was so bad that I decide to butcher it yesterday. It was crowded with little air circulation there so things got worse.

That’s why I had those roses for a vase.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Forever Susan Lily

9 Likes

Black Eyed Susan Vine

7 Likes

13 Likes

@KSprairie,
I love Thunbergia but the seeds I have were old so nothing sprouted :weary:

2 Likes

Butterfly milkweed and cilantro

8 Likes

@mamuang, my seed was new this year. I soaked seeds before planting and got 100% germination.

2 Likes

Those orange poppies are my dream flower- I can’t ever get them to survive transplant though.

2 Likes

@Katie_didnt_Z4b
Those came up from direct seeding! My transplants are still only about 3”-4” high and don’t look good. Have you tried direct seeding them?
This is my first time growing them. Blooms only last 1 day, which I didn’t know. I will try harder next year to get a thicker stand if them. They would be beautiful blooming en mass!

1 Like

Nope I haven’t tried from seed yet, I have some seeds for various colors but missed my window of opportunity this year. Wonder how long the seeds last? Good to know they only last a day, still worth it for me!!

2 Likes

Direct seed is the way to go with poppies. Here in zone 7a, I sprinkle them on some slightly disturbed soil around the end of February and they are blooming by May. I’ve planted seeds 2 years old that did fine, but there are many types of poppies, so maybe some aren’t as good as remaining viable.

10 Likes

GORGEOUS! Do yours also last a day per flower?

Yes, except for the California poppies (the orange ones) which last several days but close up each night. I had opened up some new garden space and did this as a quick way of filling it before adding more perennials, but I’ll probably save seed and regrow some of these again. Actually, they reseed themselves very readily, so that is a consideration - either dead head and keep them from doing it or accept the consequences.

I had no idea how they would do as cut flowers, but the red ones (I think they are called common poppies or red corn poppies) I tried in a vase and even though the initial flower was toast by the first evening the buds on the stem kept opening one at a time each day which was a nice surprise.

1 Like

Blue flower looks like Borage? I like that plant, even if it is a bit floppy and tends to spread seeds like a weed. I never have to reseed it if I let it be in the same place year to year. I had heard you could eat it, but it is way to spiky for my taste.

2 Likes

Rain and wind throughout most of last night, but the first lotus bloom survived unscathed.

13 Likes

You’re cold enough to do the dream of most of us with orange poppies.

Meconopsis betonicifolia the Himalayanblue poppy.

or Meconopsis Lingholm another blue poppy

Meconopsis-Lingholm-3

This is not my picture, I snagged one from a google search. (I wish it was, though)

I’ve tried twice (three times is my limit, especially on pricey things) and had them melt away during the summer before getting established. Reportedly people in zone 6 are successfully growing them, but I’m not sure exactly how they are managing it. Supposedly there are magnificent drifts of them in Alaska.

What is happening to your poppies when you try to grow them? Mine just finished blooming, but they will look awful in a couple weeks and will be dormant for me in about a month. You’ve just got to keep them watered, but not excessively once dormant.

Scott

6 Likes

Yes that blue/ lavender flower is Borage. I had trouble adding text between my pictures and gave up trying! The flowers are edible but I haven’t tried them either. Maybe I will get brave and give them a try.

1 Like

My kids like to eat them and I’ve garnished salad with them, but bees like them the most so I am always scared to touch them bc I may get stung!

1 Like