Top working Callery Pears weather permitting

Top working Pears weather permitting today. I don’t like grafting with these temperature swings we are getting but I can’t wait much longer or it will get to hot. This is my first grafts of the year. Might as well just jump right in. Grafting this one and several others to Douglas. Wish me luck! How’s your grafting going?

16 Likes
Grafting on Bradford Pear
Cleft grafting issues
Wild callery pear rootstocks
Grafting for complete beginners?
Arboreum delivers again! And my first scion wood
When to graft onto this (ornamental) pear? Also pruning saw question
Questions about grafting
Favor for a friend - Top working callery Pears!
Grafting onto Bradford Pears
Orange Surprize
Planning a pear orchard
Late season grafting experiments only. Using green wood cuttings, Plastilina, tbuds, chips, and other methods
Shannon pear aka Grand Champion pear
Reverse cleft graft versus cleft graft
Grafting large Callery and Betulifolia pear rootstocks
What's your favorite graft for larger rootstock?
Wild callery pear rootstocks
Do any of you graft with just flagging tape?
Is it possible to fool mother nature
Apple grafting experts: what do you recommend?
Can fireblight spread between apples and pears?
Anyone have experience on grafting apple-pear/sand pear on dwarf pear rootstock?
Side grafting
Cleft graft questions
Top working, all in one shot
Grafting over a seaside callery pear, and request for compatible scions
"Starting an orchard from wild callery pears"
Grafting fruiting scion onto ornamental trees?
Attempting to Graft onto a Cleveland Pear
Joey's red flesh pear -Top worked a harrow delight
Clarkinks permaculture versus Geoff Lawton permaculture methods
Best Semi-dwarfing Pear Rootstock - OHxF87 vs. OHxF333 vs. QuinceA
Pear research is yielding results
Pears and black walnut?
My Orchard Projects
Help with some new grafting and bud work
Grafting apple scions
Drippin' Honey Asian Pear
Asian pear seedlings
If you could only keep/re-plant/nurture 3 fruit trees?
2017 - The best selection of pears in years!

Larger trees like this take about 2-3 hours to top work. Cleft grafting is a little slower but in two years you won’t be able to tell they were grafted. Rind grafts I use on larger trees and they typically take 3-5 years to heal over completely. This wild pear has rejected scions numerous times. I’m using Douglas scions this time based on my opinion it’s easier to graft than other pears. Instead of grafting to the trunk like I normally would do notice i’m doing a lot of extra small grafts which is to increase my chances of this stubborn pear taking scions.

5 Likes

Are you top working over to 1 variety per tree?

Kelby,
In this case yes just Douglas pears on this one. This pear tree the grafts failed on it the last several years. I would have loved to have done multi grafts but with this tree I will be lucky if I can even get Douglas to take. Some of my other trees will be multi-grafts. It’s sibling is 10 feet away blooming like crazy so you could say I’ve lost at least 2 years worth of pears already. No worries I think I will have enough rootstock. I planted 400 more pears this year also and have another 200 that I still need to put in the ground.
Clark

Not intending it as criticism, but that really seems like overkill!

1 Like

For me a few trees like that would be called practice. I could use some of that. But like Clark said the weather is so up and down my head’s spinning. Don’t know if I should try my few twigs or not.

1 Like

Those grafts look great! Where’s Worden?

1 Like

Thank you Matt I just graft the same way every time. I have not grafted worden yet because of this weird weather. I don’t want to lose that variety. It’s on my list this week.

Kelby,
This pear has been a problem tree for a few years and some are like that. It seems like overkill but take my word for it I’m just doing what I need to. I have one more pear like that I will need to deal with and then the remaining pears are just normal pears.

1 Like

Well good luck!

1 Like

Fruitnut,
I think I needed the practice too after a year without doing it which is why I started with that pear. That first tree went slower than the next couple of trees did. Notice I left my wood a shade longer than I needed to in case the grafts don’t take. This weather is keeping me guessing but I figure if I wait until it gets any warmer I’m going to flood my grafts for sure.

I had a virginiana persimmon seedling that took 3-4 years of trying before something stuck. With seedlings incompatibility could be higher due to some gene.

I was about to start grafting but now a cool spell is coming through, looks like it will be the following weekend instead.

2 Likes

Scott,
Sounds like you’ve been down that road with seedlings. They are the best trees around sometimes once I figure out how to work with them. I have a very wet area in my field with poor soil that I’m growing seedling pears that came from a similar area. Seedlings are challenging for grafting like you said because they are each genetically unique but those same unique characteristics are the thing that allows them to survive without me.

1 Like

Hopefully got through all the tougher to graft older pear trees. I grafted over several to Douglas yesterday and just finished a Clara frijs today.

14 Likes

Clark you’re a worker for sure. I get tired just looking at your pictures.

2 Likes

Fruitnut,
Your place looks fantastic which takes a lot of hard work. Your fig and stone fruit crops are going to be huge this year! I’m just top working some pears but they won’t need anything special once I get them going. If these grafts take the trees will be producing bushels of good quality pears in just 2-3 years.

2 Likes

Love the pictures

1 Like

Thank you Bill!

1 Like

Looking good! Your area is several weeks ahead of me, our earliest bradford weeds are just starting to bloom around here. I haven’t really started to graft yet aside from a couple oddball projects.

1 Like

Our weather has been strange this year so typically everything would still be dormant. This is this morning after another snow.

5 Likes